Skincare Routine Makeover

Monday, March 16, 2015

I had a baby 9 months ago.  I was pregnant for 9 months before that.  Which means that for the past 18 months my skincare routine and face have been a wreck.  I literally feel like I have a roadway map on my face.  I had spent years building a skincare routine that I felt was perfect for me.  I was on birth control that helped my hormones balance out which in return reduced my teeny bopper acne to a minimum.  If I happened to get a blemish I religiously used my Philosophy spot treatment and within days I was back to normal.  I have used Bare Mineral makeup since high school and my pores rarely got clogged.  So what gives now?  Where do I go from here? I just know with 30 right around the corner that I need to be proactive in my skincare routines instead of scrambling to fix it later.  But with all the products out there and them all claiming to be best of the best its ridiculously overwhelming!

So I broke down and contacted my old dermatologist who treated my cystic acne in high school.  She took one look at me and decided that between the birth control that I am on [the unforgiving mini pill] and the fact that I am still breastfeeding that my face is simply just going to break out.  My pores are ridiculously clogged which in turn has caused these massive pimples... ok maybe that's an over reaction but they're pretty bad.  I can't just accept that.  I have seen plenty of breastfeeding moms that have gorgeous skin.  I am definitely not going to stop breastfeeding just to get my skin back on track and I don't know how much longer I will be doing it so here I am...

I did buy a retinol face wash from the dermatologist, refused to spend $52 on the prescription face cream and decided I didn't want the oral antibiotic either since I wasn't comfortable taking it while breastfeeding Bug.  After a disappointing visit to the dermatologist I broke down and called a highly recommended esthetician.  After a session with him I now have several more scheduled in order to get this breakout under control and hope to have bi-weekly/ monthly facials to keep everything at bay.  He also suggested I try Clearskin moisturizers for AM and PM to help keep everything in check between visits.

With all that being said I am still a loyal Philosophy and Bare Minerals girl and I swear by my Clarisonic daily.  Here is what my routine looks like now:

16 comments :

  1. Congratulations on your Bug! My children are teenagers now and I can tell you that being able to breastfeed is worth the skin issues in the long run so I commend you for your loving choice. Acne is such an issue. My teen daughter struggles with it so I feel your pain as I know how it affects her. When we find a regimen that works, it works wonderfully for a few months and then it seems like she almost develops an immunity (antibiotics and script topicals). She is on a great track right now and I pray hard that it continues to work this well and safely until the acne goes away completely. It sounds like you've got a great regimen nailed down and I hope it works for you. You have quality products. Does your derm know which products you're using and approve? We have a Clarisonic as well but we use it more sparingly, a couple times a week, so it doesn't "overdo" and irritate the skin. Your blog is lovely as well and I'm glad I stopped by from The Blog Love Project on FB. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it continues to work for her too!
      Yes, everything is approved but like you said sometimes it works better than others. I used to use my Clarisonic sparingly but switched the head to a more sensitive one and use a milder face wash and I haven't had any issues.
      Keep in touch :)

      Delete
  2. What a disappointing dermatologist visit! I had awful teen acne too, and now that I'm pregnant again I've been getting acne on my back. Gotta love those hormones! I've been using lots of clay or charcoal facemasks this pregnancy, and my face hasn't gotten too outta control. I like Queen Helene's mint julep mask (super cheap) or Biore's 1 minute charcoal mask, which is self-heating and makes my skin feel super tingly. I really think they both help clear my pores, especially the clay one, which I leave on for at least 30 minutes, and sometimes in the past, when my skin is really bad, I'll do it several times in a row because at first it makes my skin worse, since it's pulling all the gunk up, before it gets better. I've also gotten the biore charcoal bar cleanser for my back. So far no new breakouts, but the old red marks are still healing. Fingers crossed that continues to work. I feel your pain. Skin, hair, weight, nails...it all gets out of whack after pregnancy, but eventually things balance out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of the charcoal masks but have never tried one. Thanks for the suggestion, Ill definitely try that!
      Don't even get me started on my postpartum hair... I have short patches around my hair line that drive me crazy haha

      Delete
  3. So hard to find that balance!! My skin changed after baby and 8 months later I'm still trying to adjust. I found the Fresh cosmetics really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first comment. So worth it. I struggled with the same thing for YEARS until I finally outgrew it now when I turned 30. My new issue is wrinkles (AHHHHHH!) I am not as on top of the whole skin care thing as you are and I realized I am using the same wash I had when I had breakouts, so I am on the hunt for my more mature skin care routine (I can't believe I just typed that). Oh and Bare Minerals all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im by no means on top of it, I usually only get on the ball when something major happens :/ Im at that stage too... Trying to fight my breakouts and I know I need to be proactive about wrinkles but its hard to figure out where to start

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to try a clarisonic for some time now...I suffer from a bit of acne and oily skin. I really need to get a set routine...I'm never consistent with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need a routine for my skin. I find as I'm getting older I'm having a lot of problems with dryness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good moisturizer is hard find. Philosophy has a great PM moisturizer that I have always liked :)

      Delete
  7. It's so totally natural for your skin to change overtime. So you're skin care routine is bound to change as well. Honestly, it doesn't look like you have a lot of products which is something to be grateful for! Seeking a professional was the right step, but you're also right to be wary of prescription products costing way too much.

    Good luck! It's so hard to recommend something without being a professional! I was a manager in the spa industry for years, and skincare routines seem to be as different as hair colors. One can work perfectly for one person while doing something completely different for another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive always tried to be simple with my skincare and makeup as well as trying to be consistent with my product lines so hopefully he can help me over this hurdle an onto a new skincare path.

      Delete
  8. I really really really like the Free and Clear // Vanicream brand. They have helped SO much with changing over my skin care routine and slowly but surely, less blemishes for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation, I'm always looking into new things so Ill definitely check this line out.

      Delete